Search This Blog

Friday, 6 May 2011

In what ways does your media product use, develop or challenge forms and conventions of real media products?

For my main product, me and my group researched typical conventions from a short award-winning film "Wasp", which features below. The main conventions we learnt for our main product were:

* Original storyline
* Stereotypical Characters
* a range of locations
* a range of shots

We tried to put all these conventions to use in our main product, by trying to make the storyline as original as possible. We used storyboards to help us.

We also had Stereotypical characters in our main production such as:

* Victim
* Criminal

My research for my anciallary tasks were influenced by Empire film magazine.

I found Empire film magazine very helpful, when creating my film review page and film poster.

When producing my film poster i followed conventions from this poster:

In the film poster above, they have an establishing shot, with an actress's shot in the middle of the poster. Their title is very appealing, with a tagline above it, and like many other film posters they have all the film details displayed at the bottom of the poster. For example, Director's and film distributors etc.

I decided to follow these conventions, whilst creating my film poster, so that it can look as professional as possible.

I also tried to follow conventions from the image above, when producing my film review page.

When producing my main product i used Todorov Theory, which is also displayed on my blog. It helped me to structure my main product. However i do believe that my main product does not follow the typical Todorov Theory. The order of our Todorov theory looks like this:

Equilibrium - Images of victim at start

Disruption of order - When victim is hit by car

Recognition that the disorder occured - Shot of victim lying on grass

Attemp to repair damage - Dog walker finding victim

Return of new equilibrium - Shot of victim dead at the end.

We also tried to use a range of locations, to keep the audience interested. The locations which we used were:

* Sutherlands Pub
* Windynook Nature park
* Rachel's house
* My house
* My car

At the start of our main product we have several shots of the victim dead on the grass. We put a sci-fi effect on these shots and used ambient sound over the shots, to make it look like a "crime scene investigation". We tried to make it look professional, also by using "fade to black" transitions.

However, i believe we as a group both did our best to challenge, develop and use conventions of real media products in our main product. However i think my anciallary tasks, seem to have followed typical conventions more than my main product.

No comments:

Post a Comment